FYI: Google to pay student open source developers (Summer of Code)

Paul Scott pscott at UWC.AC.ZA
Wed Jun 1 12:04:27 EDT 2005

I must agree with you. At our organization we have a strong intern
programme. At the moment, in my unit, we have four interns and one
"senior" intern. The senior guy has been with us for almost a year now,
and is being promoted to full developer status next week. We deal mainly
with PHP projects, all OSS, and he arrived not knowing what PHP was! Our
other four interns all are from around Africa, as part of an exchange
program, as well as students at the university.

I have the utmost confidence in all of these guys, and will recommend
them for any job that they may want. I think that this is an excellent
way of growing talent, and fully support any organization that does it!

--Paul

>>> Rick Levine <Richard_D_Levine at RAYTHEON.COM> 06/01/05 5:49 PM >>>
I'm cross posting this because it is an excellent opportunity for
students.
I was a paid intern (studying pterodactyls), and my company employs paid
interns to perform well bounded summer projects.  The intern gains
invaluable industry experience and a semester's worth of tuition (or
beer).
One more reason Google rocks:  Applying a proven industry technique in a
new and benevolent way for OSS.

Rick

             Mike Juvrud

             <mjuvrud at AKEVA.CO

             Sent by: UMN              MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU

             MapServer Users
cc
             List

             <MAPSERVER-USERS@
Subject
             LISTS.UMN.EDU>            [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] FYI: Google

                                       to pay student open source

                                       developers (Summer of Code)

             06/01/2005 09:32

             AM

             Please respond to

                Mike Juvrud

             <mjuvrud at AKEVA.CO

Google has announced (May 31) that it will provide a $4500 stipend to
student developers (& $500 to the mentoring organization) that complete
work on open source projects over the summer. Perhaps MapServer would
want
to be a "mentoring organization"?

"Summer of Code" Program details:
http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

"Mentoring Organization" FAQ:
http://code.google.com/mentfaq.html

Mike Juvrud
GIS Programmer, Mud Labs
Glenwood, MN USA
320.634.4410
www.mudlabs.com
mike at mudlabs.com
01001101 01110101 01100100 01001100 01100001 01100010 01110011