How to Use MR.SID raster files in mapserver 4.4.2 ?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Thu Jun 2 13:01:26 EDT 2005

Brent Fraser wrote:
> Robert,
>
>   It is possible to use MrSID files as a data source for MapServer.
> Personally, I don't recommend it due to the poor decompression
> performance of MrSID.  If you have the disk space convert the MrSID
> files to uncompressed TIF instead (you can use GDAL's gdal_translate
> utility).  If disk space is not available use ECW (although I'm not sure
> of the compilation status on unix).
>
>   What do you get when you run GDAL's gdalinfo utility on the MrSID file?
>
> Brent Fraser

Hi,
Frank did some changes to GDAL (was it that) and it should work fine
now. Get me offlist, if you need exact version numbers.
You simply have to download the Mr.Sid SDK at www.lizardtech.com and
compile it with Mapserver. Nothing more. Well! We had to do it for Linux
and Windows, latter is a pain.

Since Franks hack the performance really is very amazing. Being all
Free-headed i personally would not want to use Mr.Sid but it really does
a great job compressing and decompressing. The aerials of Rhineland
Palatinate would have been 1.8 TB in TIFF, instead they now amount to 60
GB Mr.Sid. The customer made us do it.