Mapped Network Drives - Win Xp

Jim Bilsborough jim at CCSSERVICESOFVA.COM
Wed Jun 8 23:30:45 EDT 2005

Hi,
I'm a newbie here.  last week I installed Windows binaries (ms4w) on a
Win2K machine and followed the instructions and all worked perfect.  Where
the instructions recommended installing below the root directory of a
drive, I created a folder called "Mapserver" and used "Map Network Drive"
to refer to that folder as my M:\ drive (m=mapserver) - like I said, it
worked great - both on that machine and other computers on the network.

This week I ported my work in progress to an computer running Win XP
Professional (SP2), and guess what - it no longer works.  I've discovered
that If I move my MS4W folder below the C:/ root it works fine, but even if
I map the whole of the C:\ drive as drive M:\, my client pages can never
find references to .map files, etc under the M: drive - it only accepts
local C:\ drive references.

I guess this is probably more of an XP issue, than anything to do with
mapserver, ms4w, etc - but I'm hoping someone here has expereinces the same
and knows the solution.

TIA

Jim