GeoTIFF overviews / TILEINDEX / Large dataset performance

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 13 09:55:30 EDT 2005

On 6/13/05, Gambin Dejan <Dejan.Gambin at pula.hr> wrote:
> 1. Frank talks about different types of tilings and overviews:
>         - is the tiling type related to overview type and how? To be
> more concrete, if I have a set of tiff files (and i am using tileindex
> shapefile to associate thme into one layer) can I use internal
> overviews? Which are the possible combinations? What are the advantages
> and disadvantages? Is it better to use internal overviews/tiles or what?

Gambin,

My suggestion is to use internal overviews on your base files, but
still to provide *some* additional overview map layers.  The built-in
overviews work fine for extracting overview images efficiently, but
if the user zooms out a long ways such that they are looking at hundreds
of files, the very action of opening and parsing the headers of the many files
will end up slowing things down alot.

So the "map overview layers" are essentially intended to prevent MapServer
from having to touch too many files for any one render request.