[PHP MapScript] Problem with ms_newShapefileObj and path with special characters

Murilo Lacerda Yoshida murilo.yoshida at AGX.COM.BR
Thu Jun 16 19:18:05 EDT 2005

  Hi all,
  I tried to create a shapefile using a path with special characters in
a linux system, all escaped by backslashes (\).
  The problem is that the ms_newShapefileObj function doesn't appear to
work with this kind of path ... I tried to create a regular file using
the same path and the same name as the failed shapefile in a terminal,
and it worked fine.
  Is it a bug? Did somebody had this problem?
  Example:
ms_newShapefileObj(/teste/mapas/btg/Hiro´s_Test/Teste\(blablabla:\)_\)/d
ata/testeShapeFile,MS_SHP_POLYGON);

  Thanks in advance,
     Murilo