Selecting rectangle as a query on a map

Dylan Keon dbkeon.ml at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 24 03:45:04 EDT 2005

On 6/24/05, Hoeven, Maarten van der <Maarten.van.der.Hoeven at knmi.nl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am running MapServer 4.6.0, with PHP Mapscript. All is working well
> (with a slightly modified gMap75 demo).
>
> But, I have a question about selecting a rectangle on the map, and to
> zoom in to that rectangle. You know what I mean :)
>
> I don't want to run Java applets, as I have to keep the application as
> small as possible.
>
> Does anyone have some pointers how to handle? Are there some
> javascript-libraries available? Anyone has an example piece of php-code
> in store?

Hi Maarten,

You could grab the dbox code from Steve Lime's DHTML Landview interface:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/landview.html

I think the workshop demo download also contains the dbox code:
http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/mapserver_demos/workshop.zip

There is a presentation on dbox at:
http://www.omsug.ca/dl/osgis2004/box_presentation.zip

I currently use a variation of this:
http://gis.nacse.org/temp/zoombox.js

Take a look at the thread from March 2005 entitled "Rubber-Band Box
Zooming," which contains most of the info above.

--Dylan