Security of data

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCAN.GC.CA
Wed Jun 29 17:30:09 EDT 2005

Randy,

Their browsers will normally cache the map images they get.

You could try to avoid this by explicitly setting the necessary HTTP headers
on the images generated by MapServer so as to make sure they don't get
cached by the browser, though it should be noted that browser settings could
override this.

Basically, there's no way to guarantee 100% that people viewing maps on
their laptops will never walk out of the office with the information
somewhere on their computer, at least not with standard viewing technologies
(i.e. D()HTML/JavaScript).  You can reduce the likelyhood considerably by
trying to fight the caching mechanisms, but that's the best you can do.

If they had a thick Java client however, you could maybe achieve your goal.

J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Randy James
Sent: June 29, 2005 5:23 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Security of data

I was trying to figgure out how to protect sensitive information. We have
mapserver set up on our LAN, which does not allow http requests from the
internet. It protects our data from the internet but now I am getting people
who want to do reasearch in our office using thier own laptop. The problem i
am faced with is the c:\windows\temp\*.png files that is downloaded by thier
internet explorer. How do I make sure they are not taken out of our office
when they pack their laptop out? Is there a way to display the maps and not
have these files in the windows\temp folder?

Randy