WMS Client Problems

John Bonk jpbonk at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 30 16:08:24 EDT 2005

Our mapserver is having problems acting as a WMS client.

  I posted to this list earlier this year. Originally, the problem was
getting through our fire wall. Bart van den Eijnden help us get through
our firewall problem, and Bill Bill Binko made some useful suggestions.
I mention this because I neglected to thank them and follow up. So
thank you Bart and Bill.

  Here is the follow-up: We still can't retrieve data from a WMS server.
The symptoms are our browser indicates activity when we ask for WMS
data, but no data is received, no messages are written to our logs.

  I have discussed this problem with several people at the OSG '05
conference. The consensus was that there was something wrong with our
build. We were advised to use the FGS Installer.

  Our systems people compiled mapserv using FGS, and it still doesn't
work in our operational environment using our default port. But it
works in a test environment where we have to specify a port in the URL.
BTW, I'm told by the person who installed mapserver that the same thing
is true of the mapserv binary available on the FGS page--it works in
our test environment but not in our ops environment with the default
port.

  One more bit of info, the binary included in FWtools works in both
environments.

  Does any one have any suggestions on how to debug this problem? I'm
wondering if this problem transcends mapserv and if there is another
list this should be going to.

 Best regards,
 John Bonk