Security of data

Mike Davis mike.and.kerry at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 30 23:01:13 EDT 2005

> need to be able for people to use the data but not be able to take it out of the
> office and allow someone who will use it the wrong way to obtain it. Like I need
> for a logging company to be able to avoid a spotted owl nest so the
> managers/planners need to know, but there has been a problem because people who
> are loggers not the managers get the maps and have cut down the tree that has the
> nest.

This is an interesting problem.  It is similar to one we face with our
cultural resources sites (ancient migration corridors, locations of
artifacts, etc...).  The location of the sites are considered
"sensitive" information and are not given out to anyone.  When we need
to make maps showing no-go areas we use a buffered area offset a few
meters in a random direction.  This keeps people out of areas that
shouldn't be disturbed, while preventing the curious from finding a
site by going to the center of a buffered area.  In addition, strong
legal ramifications of removing artifacts from federal property keeps
most folks honest.  We have used a similar approach to keep training
activity away from Bald Eagle nest sites.

Your circumstance might require a larger buffer area and offset
distance, but if you have no-go zones around the nesting areas you
wouldn't need to give anyone access to the actual nesting sites.

-Mike