escaping single quotes

Paul Scott pscott at UWC.AC.ZA
Mon May 2 05:08:53 EDT 2005

One word:

addslashes();

PHP does it for you with the function addslashes();
'[GEMNAAM]'= addslashes('$gemnaam');

--Paul

>>> Ace Suares <ace at SUARES.NL> 05/02/05 4:53 AM >>>

dear list,

I have the following situation:

1. a column in my shapefile (.dbf) that is called GEMNAAM
2. 482 gemeentes (counties), 3 of them starting with an ' (an apostroph
or
single quote).
3. a filter that looks like '[GEMNAAM]'='$gemnaam'
where $gemnaam iterates over (some of) the 482 gemeentes

The problem seems to be that the single quote in the $gemnaam is not
being
escaped, and I have no idea how to escape it.

Is there an escape mechanism for single quotes ?

I tried double quotes i.e. '[GEMNAAM]'="$gemnaam" but apparently to no
avail.

Much obliged for any hint. (However, that won't bring back the past 4
hours of my life).

_ace

--
I wanna be the squeezer, and not the squeezie.
        - Bootsy

Ace Suares' Internet Consultancy
mail: PObox 2599, 4800 CN Breda, The Netherlands
phone: +31 6 244 33 608 (Jan Veuger, support Netherlands)
emergency: +599 786 23 73
voicemail & fax: +31 848 707 705
web: http://www.suares.nl email: support at suares.nl