Easiest OS

Paul Scott pscott at UWC.AC.ZA
Mon May 2 10:21:04 EDT 2005

Not to start a distro war or anything...

I have set up mapserver et al on RH9, debian, Mandrake and Windows.

By far the best experience I had was with Mandrake 10 and 10.1, however
as a production server I would think twice about that choice, rather go
with debian.

Nice thing about debian is that there is now a debian GIS repository
that is pretty actively maintained, so it makes life VERY easy when you
can simply apt-get install mapserver!

I had the most problems with Windows, but that may be that I am just not
a Windows person, I like the command line, so I may be a touch biased ;>

--Paul
>>> Andy Canfield <andy.canfield at GMAIL.COM> 05/02/05 4:09 PM >>>
I know it may fall into the realm of personal opinion but what is the
easiest OS to run Mapserver on from start to finish? By that I mean
compiling, setting up, maintaining, and serving. If it's Linux or Unix
then
please let me know which type.
Thank you,
Andy