Using Google Maps

Jeff Portwine jdport at VERITIME.COM
Thu May 5 09:04:18 EDT 2005

When I tried it,  I got
Error: Permission denied  (line 14, Char 2)  if I used IE6,
and if I used Firefox I got:
Error: uncaught exception: A script from "http://..." was denied UniversalBrowserRead privileges.

Tried looking at the code, but my javascript skills need some work :)

Also, how legal is using a script like this?   I'm especially interested in doing something like this for geocoding, but in their terms and services it says (among other things):

No Automated Querying
You may not send automated queries of any sort to Google's system without express permission in advance from Google. Note that "sending automated queries" includes, among other things:

  a.. using any software which sends queries to Google to determine how a website or webpage "ranks" on Google for various queries;
  b.. "meta-searching" Google; and
  c.. performing "offline" searches on Google.
Now, I know this isn't doing anything with webpage ranks, meta-searching, etc.. but it is still an automated query.    Was just curious if there were any legal implications to doing this kind of thing?.

Thanks!

-Jeff

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andy Canfield
  To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:09 PM
  Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Using Google Maps

  To all,
      I have created an example of how to use Google Maps in your own web pages for routing, geocoding, directions etc. I have a sample web page and all the code is within that page. I'm sure once folks see what I'm doing they will be able to add it to their own Mapserver pages fairly easily. I am going to try and add the page to this e-mail as a .zip file. If my gmail strips it out please feel free to e-mail me and I will send you a copy of the zip file from another account. The source will show you how to feed an address to Google Maps and get back the Lat, Lon of that address. It will also show how to feed Google Maps a from and to route request and get back the directions and the polyline coordinates of the route. The source code is intended as example only and I leave it up to you to how you want to add that data to your Mapserver implementations. Google Maps does have restrictions to using their API so you must abide by them if you decide to implement this example. If there are any errors in the source please let me know so I can fix them. So far I have only tested this with Mozilla and IE6.
  Thank you,
  Andy