using asp and mapserver to put an image at a lat/lon coordinate

Andrea Edwards andrea.edwards at NULC.AC.UK
Tue May 10 10:47:01 EDT 2005

Hello

 I am new to mapserver and I am really struggling. Any help would be greatly valued.

 I want to use mapserver for an internet mapping application but I do not want to use php or perl. I would prefer to use asp. However, this precludes my use of mapscript.

 For my application I need to be able to access some gps coordinates from a database and then position a graphic on top of the map at this coordinate.

 I have only a basic knowledge of mapserver. I believe that I can dynamically change map file parameters via a form or url. In theory therefore I can create a get request in my asp code and send this to mapserver using an asp component such asphttp (I have seen this discussed in the archives).

 I believe that to add an image to a map I have to use a symbol and set its type to pixmap. However, I cannot see any parameters for specifying the location of the image in the map in (x,y) coordinates. Am I on the right track? Please can you tell me how I specify the location of the image.

 I want to know if it's possible to access the mapserver c api directly from asp. I have seen a resource called VisualBasic.Net GIS which accesses mapserver so it must be possible though I expect its not a trivial task. Whilst this library is very useful it does not seem to have any features for positioning graphics at a certain coordinate.

I guess I am hoping there is an asp equivalent of mapscript somewhere that I can use or buy.

 I have used aspmap which I think is very good. However, I would really like to use mapserver because I would really like to make use of its ability to return flash vector files. That way I can do all my zooming and panning on the client in flash (one day when I know how)

 Thank you very much. Please help!!

andrea