Mapserver response

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 13 11:39:26 EDT 2005

On 5/13/05, Norman Barker <nbarker at rsinc.com> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> A Processing directive would be a really cool idea!  I can see that we could preserve metadata in JPEG2000
> that way, and also allow custom tags.

Norman,

Yes indeed.  But we would likely need to figure out what makes sense
to copy.  Some specialized metadata (georeferencing, coordinate system,
color table, color interpretation) is already set by MapServer according
to the outputformat.  But at the very least, it would be nice to support
copying generic metadata as per the GDAL model of it.

As for copying metadata in a very literal form (without it being
morphed into GDAL organization in between) - I think that would
be more problematic.

>  Could it be opened up to include hooks to image processing as well?
> Then you would have remote subsetting and processing in one (or perhaps I am getting carried away!! :-))

Well, I don't see that as related to the processing option.  I am generally
not keen to build generic image processing directly into MapServer.  I
have thought to extending GDAL's VRT format to support performing
some kinds of image processing.  It already does simple coefficient window
filtering for instance.  This would potentially give a mechanism to provide
image processing, but it would be invisible to MapServer.

Best regards,