Problem with Graticule and polar stereographic projection

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 19 10:12:37 EDT 2005

Steve / Martin,

One problem with the automatic graticule generation is that it produces
a single polyline for each complete gridline.  If mapserver fails to
reproject any single point on the polyline, then the whole polyline is
discarded since it cannot be reliably rendered.  This means, for instance,
that if you show a pole, and for reasons of the math the polar location
is not reprojectable, then the whole line of longitude will be discarded.

In the past, I have created actual graticule shapefiles using many small
line segments.  That way you just lose a wee bit of the graticule near
the pole or on the fringes of the reprojectable region.

I implemented a mkgraticule.py script in GDAL for doing this, if you
would like to try it (gdal/pymod/mkgraticule.py in the source tree).

Best regards,