Undisguised e-mail addresses in mapserver archives

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Fri May 20 06:57:49 EDT 2005

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but the spam problem is taking
on worse forms for me. Since I have been on the mapserver (and related)
mailing lists, my e-mail address have been appearing a lot on the
internet, in a completely undisguised way. The amount of spam I receive
has since been rising rapidly. Additionally, my address is being spoofed
lately, such that I occasionally get 100s of bounced messages that I
didn't send, to people to whom it could not be delivered.

I was hoping it might be possible to configure the mailing lists such
that e-mail addresses are disguised (even if it is poorly, by replacing
occurrences of @ with 'at'). I know that I could set up a special
"mailing list" address, but that makes things a lot harder to manage,
and people would still send spam in my name.

My address does not appear anywhere else on the internet, so I am quite
sure that the archives of the mailing lists are the cause. It's not that
I'm trying to complain, just that a small change could save a lot of
people a lot of headaches.

regards,

Jacob