Printing WMS layers in ArcMap 9.0

Bonnie Stewart Bonnie.Stewart at DLI.WA.GOV.AU
Mon May 30 04:12:48 EDT 2005

Cheers Mike.

I've actually just found the answer in one of ESRI's user forums:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=132&f=1341&t=157673&mc=2

Just in case that link moves:

Subject       Re: print wms service
Author         Graeme Browning
Date              May 10, 2005
Message

Hi Bastian

I came across something similar trying to use Export Map to PDF on a WMS layer that exported fine to JPG and was given this advice:

"My guess is the JPG files export without problems because they at drawing at a resolution of 96 dpi. This is the default resolution for JPG exports. PDF exports, however, have a default resolution of 300 dpi. We've reproduced the draw failure here, it occurs in all formats when resolution is 300 dpi. The service layers are dropped in all export formats and during printing. This confirms that the failure is occuring at draw time.

We looked further into the issue, and identified a limitaion on the server's end as the cause of the draw failure. When we peeked at the server's response from the request sent during the 300 dpi export, it returned an exception message stating, "Image is wider than maximum allowed width of 2000". In order to draw the service layer at a resolution of 300 dpi, ArcMap had requested an image of width=3063 height=2619. The server raised the exception instead of returning the image.

While this layer draw failure is not caused by our export implementation, we probably need to do a better job of providing feedback when exceptions occur during output. When pixel size limit errors occur on draw to the screen, ArcMap displays an information dialog to inform the user of the exception. Output, however, does not provide any feedback mechanism. For now, the only workaround I can recommend is outputing your PDF file at a lower resolution, something close to 96 dpi. "

In my case turning the resolution down to 150dpi achieved the result I was looking for - perhaps you can try doing the same.

- Graeme

Graeme Browning
ESRI Australia

While this was talking about JPG files, the problem was similar with .emf files. I tried exporting to .emf at 200 dpi instead of the default 300, and the image came out OK. When you go to print, you can't specify the dpi numerically, but there's a "Output Image Quality" slider from Fast -> Normal -> Best. I changed it to 'Fast' (default is 'Best'), and it printed (and previewed - but you have to cancel out of the Print dialog in order to preview) fine.

Hopefully this info saves somebody else from the puzzled few days I just had :)

Cheers,

Bonnie

Bonnie Stewart
Research Officer