Compiling Mapserver with PostGIS support under Windows

Lance Goode slgoode at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 29 00:47:53 EST 2005

Hello,

I'm attempting to compile Mapserver with support for PostGIS (Postgresql 8.1)
using Visual C++ 7.  The Mapserver make file requires a version of the
Postgresql client "libpqdll.lib" which is where I'm stuck.  I've got the
Postgresql 8.1 source but have not been able to create libpqdll.lib using
VC++. (seems like a problem with linking in appropriate winsock
definitions).

 As an alternative, I have been able to compile a static version of libpqxx
(2.5.5), but haven't been able to get it to link into Mapserver.  I've
noticed that others are having similar problems, but I've yet to find a
solution.

I've used pre-built versions of Mapserver (MS4W and FWTools) sucessfully
with Postgresql 8.1/PostGIS, so I know it is possible.  If anyone can
provide any insight into this problem, I would be much obliged.  Perhaps I
should be using a different compiler? (Mingw?)

thanks,

Lance Goode