Chloropleth maps with Mapserver

Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 2 13:58:48 EDT 2005

Hi Bill,
Well, the end maps are more or less the same. I think the best
examples of what I would like to do can be found at the KIDS website.

http://kids.fao.org and then under "Application Examples".
Another good example is at
http://www.fao.org/landandwater/agll/agromaps/interactive/index.jsp

I am not starting with individual points (well, maybe but the data has
already been aggregated).

The question for me is whether it would be easier to modify KIDS (also
open source) or Mapserver to accomplish what I would like to be done.
I agree, that it seems that it in principle should be able to be
accomplished with Mapscript. It seems less obvious to me how to
implement this functionality in KIDS, as it doesn't have the same sort
of scripting support as Mapserver. I agree that there may be a way to
do it, but I thought if someone has proven that it can be done, it
would be good to start there instead of coding from scratch.

I will checkout the developers mailing list as well to see what is
there. Thanks for the tips.

Best regards,
JPP