tileindex format options

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 3 08:55:45 EDT 2005

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] <Tom.Kralidis <at> EC.GC.CA> writes:

> Hi,
>
> We have a situation where we have a tileindex of satellite imagery and
> would like to have, as part of the tileindex, columns with metadata for
> each scene id.  We then use the tileindex as a LAYER to depict scene
> outlines.  A user could, via WMS query a scene to acquire metadata about
> that scene, from the tileindex.
>
> Having said this, do tileindexes specifically have to be shapefiles?
> For instance, can they be a PostGIS table?
>
> Cheers
>
> ..Tom

I do not know about using a PostGIS table, but Howard Butler and Sean
Gilles presented a Python workshop this summer that included a
script to build a tile index with additional, arbituary fields. The
workshop overview and examples are here:

     http://hobu.biz/software/OSGIS_Hacks

Rich