Shapefiles

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Oct 3 09:35:48 EDT 2005

On 10/3/05, Chip Taylor <work at xwb.com> wrote:

> Is there an open source Shapefile creator that can take an excel file or csv
> file with XY (longitude/latitude) and output a shapefile?  My searches of
> open source libraries (SourceForge, etc) have turned up nothing, but of
> course I could have missed it.

Chip,

This can be accomplished with OGR using the .csv (or ODBC) reader
along with the VRT driver and the shapefile writer.  The idea being that
the.csv or ODBC reader can access non-spatial input tables, the VRT
driver (along with an XML description file) indicates which columns to
use for X and Y, and then the result is written with the shapefile writer.

  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_csv.html
  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_odbc.html
  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html
  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_shapefile.html

The only tricky part of this process is preparing the VRT file.  Then use
the ogr2ogr utility to do the translation.

  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr2ogr.html

Best regards,