LCC Projection Specification

Matthew Perry perrygeo at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 7 00:49:59 EDT 2005

Richard,

On 10/6/05, Richard A. Milewski <ram at rampage.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to use some government map rasters (tifs) in Mapserver. The
> specs that come with the tif's list the projection information as:
>  *Map_Projection:* *Map_Projection_Name:* Lambert Conformal Conic  I'm
> trying understand how to translate that into the PROJECTION clause in a
> Mapserver layer specification in a .MAP file.
> My best guess (...and I am guessing...) is:
>
> PROJECTION
> proj=lcc
> lat_1=38.666670
> lat_2=33.333330
> lat_0=38.333330
> lon_0=-121.466670
> x_0=0.000000
> y_0=0.000000
> ellps=GRS80
> units=m
> no_defs
> END

I believe there are two things that might help:

1. Try switching the lat_1 and lat_2 (lat_1 is the first standard parrallel
which most likely means the southern-most parallel)

2. Add "datum=nad83"

If that doesn't do it, check out
http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/lambert_conic_conformal_2sp.html.
In general it's just a great resource for finding projection info.

Hope this helps,
--
Matt Perry
perrygeo at gmail.com