newbie taking over

Danna Dowdy Danna.Dowdy at NOAA.GOV
Wed Oct 12 14:38:22 EDT 2005

I have recently been tasked to take over a sample web-gis application
that was built by a former colleague.  I have zero experience with
post-gis and mapserver and was wondering if there were some good
introductions out there that may be helpful to me.

postgresql 8.0.2
postgis 1.0.0
mapserver 4.4.2
chameleon 2.0

what I currently have is a postgresql database table that contains 4
columns: north, south, east, west...
I have created a polygon geometry column using:
select AddGeometryColumn('collection', 'geom', 4326, 'POLYGON', 2 );

I populated the field using:
update collection set geom =  geomfromtext('POLYGON((' ||
public.collection.north::varchar || ' ' ||
public.collection.east::varchar ||
                     ',' || public.collection.north::varchar || ' ' ||
public.collection.west::varchar ||
                     ',' || public.collection.south::varchar || ' ' ||
public.collection.west::varchar ||
                     ',' || public.collection.south::varchar || ' ' ||
public.collection.east::varchar ||'))', 4326);
The idea is to have a map that would display bounding boxes for all
collections in that area where you could further choose those
collections to get the data associated with them from the database....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....