WGS84 co-ordinates to shapefile points

Matthew Perry perrygeo at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 18 12:30:53 EDT 2005

Biz

On 10/18/05, Biz King <biz.king at mac.com> wrote:

> The problem I have is that I am being given GPS (WGS84) co-ordinates and
> need to convert them
> for use within the same data sets.

Are these WGS84 coordinates in a shapefile or some GIS data format already?
If so, Mapserver can handle data in disparate projections by reprojecting
"on-the-fly":

1. Your MAP's projection ("init=epsg:4326") will be the common output
projection.
2. Your LAYER's projection will define the actual native coordinate system
of the dataset (One would be UTM the other latlong, etc) If the layer
projection differs from the map projection, it will be reprojected everytime
you request an image.

The reprojection is pretty fast but keep in mind that reprojecting HUGE
datasets will slow things down so it's best to preprocess them in that case.
A tool like ogr2ogr (http://gdal.maptools.org/ogr/ogr2ogr.html) can
reproject vector data.

Hope this helps,
--