ESRI Layer Files

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Wed Oct 19 11:34:16 EDT 2005

Chip,
I have often thought the same thing.  Hexdumpping the files, it is
really hard to see the structure at all.  The best explanation I have
heard is that the lyr is a serialized COM object, which means it will
be next to impossible to reverse engineer.  It makes one miss the
old .avl files and ArcView 3.
Paul