PHPMapscript/Linux horrible performance after Apache 1.3->2.0 upgrade

Gregor Mosheh stigmata_blackangel at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 19 22:00:46 EDT 2005

> My bottom-line question on this:  do you think the
> problem is Apache
> 2.0, and worth going back to Apache 1.3?  Or should
> I look elsewhere?

I always stick with Apache 1.3 Last year we tried
Apache 2 for reasons unrelated to mapping, and the
httpd would spontaneously freeze entirely. We
downgraded to 1.3.x and things were great again. The
freezes were happening under extremely light loads and
were happening every 1-2 days. So, although I can't
say that your performance problems are due to Apache2,
I'd definitely recommend installing Apache 1.3 and
trying it out.

There are (were? please speak up if this is outdated)
some thread-safety issues in the various libraries on
which MapServer and MapScript depend. And with
Apache2's different approaches to multithreading,
problems are to be expected. (Although we were
specifically using prefork, which I'd think should
avoid any threading issues.)

--
Gregor Mosheh
System Administrator and Head Programmer