Any papers, stats on MapServer performance against hardware / operating systems etc?

Jaak L jkl at REGIO.EE
Sat Oct 22 04:57:17 EDT 2005

>Our preferred environment will be Linux and using the CGI version of
>MapServer as this is extremeley robust (well done to all involved), is
>stateless and has a small memory footprint. Most map layers will be in
>either Shape or TAB and we can configure the Tile Indexes etc.

 We have tested with comparable country-wise dataset in different data
formats (shape files, tab files, postgis database) and hardwares (linux/x86,
solaris9/sparc, solaris10/AMDx86), using the CGI version. Linux/x86 (1 CPU
PIII ~1 GHz) was quite satisfactory, around 1 sec/map (about 100 maps/min),
Solaris/Sparc with 2 CPUs (Sun Fire440) was ~2...3 times slower and
Solaris10 on AMD (Sun Fire V20z) was ~3-4 times faster than Linux. Taking
price and also high reliability into account I would suggest the new Sun
Fire X4200 (or two x2100) servers with AMD cpu-s and Linux or Solaris 10 os,
this will be also the fastest you can get and it should be sufficent for 2 M
maps/month.

 But I do not have proper whitepaper about this.

Jaak