Data on other machine

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sun Apr 2 21:03:57 EDT 2006

Salah -

It's impossible to say whether it will improve or hurt your performance.  You'll need to do some testing to find out.  The other machine might be faster, or slower, might have a faster disk subsystem or a slower one, might have more or less RAM, etc.  And the network may be fast, or slow, or busy, or not busy.

There is some benefit to having a separate machine helping - you've got an independent disk system, at least one more CPU, and more RAM available to your application than you would otherwise.  You have the overhead of the network counteracting that benefit.  It all depends very much on your system setup.

I run MapServer with data connected over the network (via NFS) and - in my particular configuration - see no particular benefit to having data stored locally rather than remotely.  Your system will be different, and there are so many variables that you will need to do that testing yourself.

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of salah jubeh
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:25 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Data on other machine

Hi guys

I want to ask a question may be it is silly, i have the data i want to use on another PC so in the map file the shapepath is \\machinname\datafolder <file://machinname/datafolder>

I did this test and mapserver was able to display the images, i want to ask how this issue can affect the performance of the web mapping server , it will increase the time of  getting the images or not ..?

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>  to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.