clustering points

Schuyler Erle schuyler at NOCAT.NET
Thu Apr 6 09:01:06 EDT 2006

* On  6-Apr-2006 at  2:57AM PDT, Heinz-Josef Lücking said:
> I?m looking for a solution or hints on clustering points depending on
> distance. I would like to have just one symbol with diferent sizes
> depending on how many points are "behind" that symbol.

I did some experiments with this for Google Maps Hacks, and I found
that the fastest way to do this for a map display is to imagine a grid
over your map view such that each cell would have the display size of
your marker icon. Assign each of your points to the grid cell that
contains it.  Finally, for each grid cell that contains a point,
display a marker on the map for that cell. The marker can vary based
on the number of points the cell contains.

SDE