Performance hints please

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Fri Apr 7 02:15:05 EDT 2006

Lähettäjä: UMN MapServer Users List puolesta: Clint Johnson
Lähetetty: to 6.4.2006 20:39

>I don't know of any.  Optimizing the map server configuration is could
>be the wrong way of going about solving your problem

>Look into optimizing your database.  Sure there are indexes; but are
>they being used? "explain" can help you determine that
>(ie
>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/database/RHDB-7.1.3-Manual/sql/sql-explain.html)

When optimizing it might be good to have something to compare with. With Mapserver I suppose that using and optimizing shapefiles is well documented and experienced. Maybe you could make a simple test by translating some of your vector layers to shapefiles, index them and compare the speed Mapserver is rendering that data with the time needed when using corresponding data from your PostGIS?

-Jukka-