landview application and AJAX

Mon Apr 17 15:57:37 EDT 2006

There is a member in the Mapserv object called 'options' that allows you to add
arbitrary parameters to the URL passed to mapserver. You might try something
like:

  myMap.options = "&foo=" + foovar;

Where 'foo' is the variable you're passing to MapServer and foovar is the javascript
variable you filled via ajax/xmlhttp...

Make sense?

Steve

>>> Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at GMAIL.COM> 4/17/2006 1:19:27 PM >>>
Greetings,

I have been working with the Landview DHTML interface to mapserver, and would
like to include support for some additional asynchronous interaction with a
database.

Currently our application works like this:

select a region --> generate URL based on selection --> mapserver application
with arguments in URL --> interaction with mapserver application

I have written some functions in javascript and PHP to perform a spatial query
on a PostGIS database:
mapserver application --> calculate extent center coordinates with JS --> AJAX
style request to PHP function page --> data is returned to mapserver page and
displayed

this is being done in the postdraw() function found in the landview
application.

I am having trouble figuring out how to pass the results from the above
function to the creation of the mapserver object such that this value is also
passed to the mapfile.

In particular, I am curious about when the following line from the landview
application is executed:

var ms = new Mapserv("main", the_mapfile,  ... );

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!

--
Dylan Beaudette