Postgis Gist Index

Bertsch clemens.bertschler at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 18 12:42:43 EDT 2006

Hi List,

As I was reading in the PostGIS manual a GIST index on the geometry column
will speed up the application in several cases.
So i was creating an index on my south_america_large table with CREATE INDEX
south_america_large_index ON south_america_large USING GIST(the_geom
GIST_GEOMETRY_OPS); VACUUM ANALYZE;
Code:
layer->set("data","the_geom FROM (SELECT the_geom,gid FROM
south_america_large) AS myquery USING UNIQUE GID USING SRID=-1");
map->setExtent(-54,-20,-39,-9); the extension of this map is (-117,-56) -
(-34,32)

When i run the application i get the same time using the database with GIST
or using it without GIST. Furthermore i was trying the same with a shape
file and a quadtree index and i got better results for the shapefile with
the quadtree index. Maybe someone can help me.
Thanks,
Clemens