Changing the projection

rahul singh connect_rahul1 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Tue Apr 18 15:19:53 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to change my map projection from lambert
azimuthal equal area to mercator projection. I tried
to change the value of keyword proj to merc instead of
laea and changed the others keywords like ellps to
WGS84 and lat_0 to 0
and   lon_0 to 0 but did not see any changes in the
map . i even changed the extents of the shapefile
according to the mercator projection.  I am providing
the part of the code down below in which i made the
changes

MAP
NAME UMAC
SIZE 630 294
EXTENT -1403269.17 -433382.76 781662.52 577110.16
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
SHAPEPATH "../shape/"
SYMBOLSET "../etc/symbols.sym"
FONTSET "../etc/fonts.txt"