Performance hints please

Stephen Davies sdc at SDC.COM.AU
Wed Apr 19 23:35:55 EDT 2006

Yes, I see the overviews in the gdalinfo output.
So far, I have only used 50%. Any guides as to what is a good number of
overviews to create?
How does mapserv chose which overview to use? What is "appropriate"?

Cheers,
Stephen

On Thursday 20 April 2006 12:42, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Stephen Davies wrote:
> > G'day Frank.
> >
> > I reread the raster howto etc on overviews and do think they might
> > help.
> >
> > I have created some overviews of my TIFF images using gdaladdo but
> > cannot see how to tell mapserv to use them. Could you please give
> > me a pointer.
>
> Stephen,
>
> It should just use them automatically when they are appropriate for
> the current map request.  You might want to verify that GDAL sees the
> overviews by running "gdalinfo" on the dataset after gdaladdo, and
> ensuring there are some overviews levels listed after the bands in
> the report.
>
> There isn't any particularly easy way to ensure that mapserver is
> using the overviews short of seeing better performance.
>
> Best regards,

This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83