CSharp Mapscript in WebForm (ASP.NET 2.0)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 1 05:33:08 EDT 2006

Hi David,

You may have to embed your manifest file into your mapscript.dll using
the mt tool according to Chapter 3.2 of
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/mapscriptcscompile

> -          What exactly does unsafe, but locked mean vs. unsafe?

Unsafe means the portion of the code uses global resources (eg
variables) without making synchronization when accessing these
variables. So multiple threads may cause problems
with these components.
Unsafe but locked means these sections were identified and the
critical sections are protected by global locks. It keeps from the
problems coming out, but may result in performance using multiple
threaded application models. (Having he locks global for the entire
application). For more details see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-15

> -          Map config file loading – is this opening a Mapfile from disk? If
> so, would building the Mapfile dynamically remove the issue?

The parser strore the state using global variables being protected by
locks. Applies basically to creating mapObj by loading a .map file.
Creating mapObj from scratch may prevent from this issue.
I was thinking of a support for loading the state from plain binary
files without using the parser might also help.

> -          WMS/WFS – is it fixable? What is the level of effort (hours /
> $$$)?

Are you referring to the WMS/WFS server or client functionality?

Best Regards,

Tamas Szekeres