Layer Overviews

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Aug 7 18:46:59 EDT 2006

Bruno -

You don't configure it.  As long as your MapServer binary is using GDAL
support to read GeoTIFF files, GDAL will look for and automatically use
the overviews.  For a given map request there will be a certain input
raster resolution desired.  GDAL will use the lowest-resolution overview
that is not lower in resolution than the requested resolution.

     - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Bruno Patini Furtado
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 3:06 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Layer Overviews

Hi,
I have successfully added internal overviews to a GeoTIFF image, which
had its size increased from 270mb to 370mb, but I'm not finding where in
the map file layer object where I configure this overviews.

In order to create the internal overviews I've used the gdaladdo
program.

Any hint would be really appreciated!

--
"Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open."

Bruno Patini Furtado
Software Developer
webpage: http://bpfurtado.net
software development blog: http://bpfurtado.livejournal.com