UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS

Brent Fraser bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM
Sat Aug 12 17:40:38 EDT 2006

Bruce,

  If you are referring to your question on Thursday:

"This is a top of theline webhost and know what they are doing, is it that
difficult?"

It was a pretty generic question (almost rhetorical).  But to answer it, yes
it can be difficult, because to get  mapserver site working you need to
know:

1.  The server's operating system at an administrator level (file
permissions, services).
2.  Web architecture (www servers and clients, basic web protocols and HTML
format, CGI concepts)
3.  Mapserver architecture: map files, html templates, CGI parameters
4.  GIS data formats (e.g. shapefile, geotiff, etc)
5.  Mapping coordinate systems (geographic coordinates, map projections,
datums)

and optionally:
6. Server-side and client-side scripting
7. Relational Databases
8. Debugging tools and techniques
9. Server-side geographic data management (tiling, pyramiding, indexing)
10. OGC architecture and protocols
11. and more....

The great thing about Mapserver is it is so flexible.  The bad thing about
Mapserver is it is so flexible.  :)

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc
Calgary, Alberta, Canada