Easy way to get standalone mapserver already compiled

M.L. Jackson mljacks2 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 14 16:07:54 EDT 2006

I downloaded MS4W before but I noticed that there was a lot of unneeded
programs included as well as an Apache server which was of no use to me.  I
never explored the cgi-bin directory.  After reading your reply and looking
in the cgi-bin directory, I found exactly what I needed.

I basically copied all of mapserver's dependent libraries (and I'm sure some
other unneeded dll files) from the cgi-bin directory into a system folder.
I made sure that Tomcat added this system folder to its library path so that
mapscript/mapserver could find the .dll files when needed.  I then copied
the mapscript.jar file found in cgi-bin/mapscript/java into my project's
WEB-INF/lib directory.  Because Tomcat is sometimes flimsy, it would be a
good idea to manually copy the mapscript.jar file to your project's
WEB-INF/lib directory within Tomcat and not depend upon deployment
necessarily doing the job correctly.

Well, not a very detailed write-up but due to time constraints it is the
best that I can do.  Maybe someone can take this write-up and make it more
detailed and formal.  If no one can, I can probably write it up at a later
date.  By the way, I am using MyEclipse for my mapserver project
development.

Thanks, Jeff.