performance with different data formats

Mark Adams Mark.Adams at DPRA.COM
Wed Aug 23 21:30:44 EDT 2006

Harold,

>Ensure that 'mapserv -v' shows SUPPORTS=FASTCGI.

Yes, that's clear.

>Set your FastCgiConfig in your apache configuration to be something
>similar to step 3 of the FastCGI howto.

Well, we're not using Apache - all of our clients use IIS, so that's the
environment we work in as well. So we're on Windows 2003 server with
IIS. The comments in the fastcgi howto document regarding implementing
this on Win32 are pretty scary, and all are about Apache, not IIS. In
our case we used the fastcgi ISAPI dll, and have linked PHP to that dll
in a php web server extension. But we had no idea what if anything we'd
have to do to link mapserver to that dll. (Are we really the only folks
in the mapserver world that run on IIS?!)

>And the most important bit
>is ensure that 'PROCESSING="CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER" is set on the
>MAP, or else MapServer will not do *any* connection pooling
>(FastCGI or not).

We have tried both to include and not include the PROCESSING directive.
It didn't make a noticeable difference to include. Does this again imply
that we haven't got fastcgi configured properly?

Thanks again.

Mark Adams
General Manager, Ottawa Office
DPRA Canada