RASTER layer functionality, a SWAQ

John Novak hetzerrr at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 25 21:46:58 EDT 2006

Firstly, this is not related to the thread on the postgis list regarding
adding raster support to PostgreSQL.  I am NOT suggesting embedding rasters.

I have a large number of rows containing metadata about rater files sitting
in a PostGIS table.  Each row is associated with a georeferenced file
sitting in a file system, and the row contains polygon geometry representing
the footprint of the raster.  The rows also contain many other attributes
that I'd like to use to filter the displayed rasters.

Having the functionality of the RASTER layer, but using a PostGIS table as a
source for features rather than a SHAPEFILE would be a very useful thing, at
least in my case.

What's the opinion regarding

1. the overall usefulness of such a beastie

and

2.  the complexity of actually implementing said beastie, given that it's a
combination of the functionality of a PostGIS layer and a RASTER layer ?

I admit I have not done my homework and really examined the code for these
two layers.

Best,

John Novak