WMS using ecw file

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at FREE.FR
Wed Aug 30 09:21:35 EDT 2006

Le Mardi 29 Août 2006 15:31, Gareth Heinz a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Serving a satellite image ECW (approx 4GB file) as a MapServer CGI
> consumable. While a 24bit PNG looks great, the filesize can be quite huge,
> therefore I've modified to serve it as a JPEG with QUALITY set to 100. This
> still looks good and gives a very small filesize compared to the PNG.
>
> Now here is the main question, when serving the same layer as a WMS
> service, the JPG looks really washed-out, where as the PNG while looking
> great has too big a filesize for the end-users. So I was wondering if there
> was a bug with Mapserver or GDAL (as I take it MapServer uses GDAL to serve
> ECW's), or if anyone out there has a solution?
>
> Using MapServer 4.8.3 on Windows 2003 serving via IIS.
>
> TiA.
> Gareth
To improve your output you have several ways. Some of them got some contrains.
I use ECW and try output in png (big but not good) and jpg not so good. Some
others parameters for both jpeg and png not output a good images.
Here my output format for PNG :
  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME png
    DRIVER "GD/PNG"
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    EXTENSION "png"
    FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
    TRANSPARENT OFF
  END

For jpeg :
  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME jpeg
    DRIVER "GD/JPEG"
    MIMETYPE "image/jpeg"
    IMAGEMODE RGB
    EXTENSION "jpg"
    FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
    FORMATOPTION "QUALITY=100"
  END
You can change QUALITY parameter.

Hope it will help to improve your output.

Regards,

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin