sample .MAP files for USGS National Atlas of USA and Atlas of North America

Hal Mueller hal at MOBILEGEOGRAPHICS.COM
Sat Dec 2 00:53:56 EST 2006

I've created a couple of sample .MAP files that make use of the
extensive set of shapefiles offered by the USGS for the United State
and North America.

These are certainly not finished cartographic products, but they do
provide a good start toward building a basemap for a Mapserver
project.  You will need to adjust scaling and labels to suit.  There
are many more data layers available that I did not use in my samples.

The maps look much better at larger scales than they do at smaller scales.

All files are linked from my Mapserver recipes page:
http://www.mobilegeographics.com/mapserver/

Screenshots (large images!) of some locations (mostly USA, some on
the borders; each location visible in both USA and North American
atlases under same output projection):
http://www.mobilegeographics.com/mapserver/usgsUSA.html
http://www.mobilegeographics.com/mapserver/usgsNA.html

Tarball with .MAP and .PHP files:
http://www.mobilegeographics.com/mapserver/usgsdemo.tar.gz

These files are free for anyone to use as needed.

Hal Mueller                hal at mobilegeographics.com
Mobile Geographics LLC     http://www.mobilegeographics.com/