map a search: best strategy?

John Smith jayzee.smith at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 17:10:16 EST 2006

On 12/4/06, Hal Mueller <hal at mobilegeographics.com> wrote:

> A bit more detail about the search would help--coding environment?
> search parameterization?  DB attributes?

there're more than 1 coding environments. search database is oracle on a
different server. i am on a different server running my map
service making maps on demand. i am also running my geocoding service on
demand. i want to tie my 2 services for whoever wants it. my question really
is- how do i best do the tie up?

On 12/4/06, Hal Mueller <hal at mobilegeographics.com> wrote:

> Geocoding after every search will be slow, and a heavy load.  IMO you
> would do better by geocoding all of the points in your search
> database once, and storing that.

yeah the visitor'd have to wait but i am trying to avoid mixing search
database (oracle, non-spatial) with geocode database (postgresql, spatial).

On 12/4/06, Hal Mueller <hal at mobilegeographics.com> wrote:

> 1 run search
> 2 generate unique filename string (say "xyzzy12345")
> 3 create xyzzy12345.dbf with the attributes of your search
> 4 ln -s permgeocode.shp xyzzy12345.shp
>    ln -s permgeocode.shx xyzzy12345.shx
>    etc.
>
> now you have a shapefile whose attributes are the search results for
> a particular query, and you can display it normally, without having
> to think about the fact that it came from a search query.

didn't quite get that. i don't think i am struggling with shp
creation. see, the search runs on a separate server on a separate
database. that server'd then feed my server with the results.
i get to geocode the results and show them on a fancy map ;).

jzs