MapServer on Oracle: Performance issue JOIN vs. LEFT JOIN

Sebastian Schmitz sschmitz at KARTAGO.DE
Wed Dec 6 10:07:31 EST 2006

Hi

we use Mapserver on Oracle Spatial 10gR2 using oraclespatial connection.
I want Mapserver to draw a geometry from a view. I experience that if
the create view statement contains a LEFT JOIN statement, performance
goes down enormously as opposed to a view created using a JOIN
statement, where performance is fine. Data contained within the views
will only vary a little bit between using LEFT JOIN and JOIN. I
encounter the same behaviour when not using views, but plain SQL
containing JOIN / LEFT JOIN statements.

How come? Workarounds in cases where I need a left join.....?

Cheers

Sebastian

--
KARTA.GO Gesellschaft für raumbezogenes Informationsmanagement mbH

Siemensstraße 8
53121 Bonn

Sebastian Schmitz
Projektleiter