map performance

Wed Dec 6 15:57:33 EST 2006

I suggested making a copy because you might not want to alter your base
geometry shapefile. If that's not the case then just muck with the DBF
of the original (I believe you can't rewrite a DBF file you have to
create a new one and replace the old version.

Steve

>>> boice tomlin <boice at RUNSKIP.COM> 12/6/2006 1:57:28 PM >>>

Hi Steve,

This is great.  I will pursue this method.

After generating the dbf file the first time I could then update it
only as need as users update records.  PHP has DBF file functions built
in.  Those single operations would take no time and the ratio of updates
to the dbf file to map views would be large.

A few questions;

why make a copy of the shp/shx files?  I'm guessing your using those to
create a dbf file.  That would be new for me.  What tools would I use
for that?  Could I use MapScript?

I'm guessing some of these questions are now starting to get out of the
scope of the original discussion.  If you could just point me in the
direction of some documentation that would be good.

thanks,

boice