a mapserver framework for flexibility

percy percyd at PDX.EDU
Fri Dec 8 01:15:50 EST 2006

Neil, funny you should ask...
We are just about to announce our new mapserver framework, probably
tomorrow morning...
Here's a site that uses most of its functionality:
http://www.oregongeology.com/sub/ogdc/index.htm

We have based the interface on many contract work requests, and it's
very extensible!

You sound very motivated and we would be very interested in working with
you to improve the interface!
Percy

Quoting Neil Best <nbest at FORESTONE.COM>:

 > Eduardo, I found your note to mapserver-users while searching the
archive for any sign that others have been down this path before.  That
was some time ago and I'm not sure I can do a good job of finding other
related threads since then, but what you describe sounds very similar to
the task that I have recently taken on, to find a web mapping framework
based on open source tools that maximizes leverage of existing code
while providing extensibility, maintainability, and scalability.  This
application will provide access to specific data subsets and analysis
tools under a subscription model to a diverse group of users so by
definition user profiles will drive the content andclient-side tools
presented by the application.  This entails far more thanjust slapping
together some layers and putting a map on the web, plus it needs to
happen *fast* so building a web site from scratch is not an option.  To
these ends I will be evaluating a small set of packages after conducting
a brief su
 > rv
 > ey of Mapserver-based projects in general, including but not limited to:
 >
 > Cartoweb     http://www.cartoweb.org/
 > Mapbender    http://www.mapbender.org/
 > PrimaGIS     http://www.primagis.fi/
 >
 > I have been studying these projects in web space and have started
evaluating them in user/admin space and have already begun to form my
own opinions and impressions.  It would be great to hear from members of
the community whohave insight into these issues and learn from their
experiences.  Maintainers and contributors to whichever framework(s)
meet my basic needs while demonstrating that additional features can be
developed rapidly and efficiently can expect to hear from me in the near
future soliciting proposals for a range of services from client-side
functionality to back-end integration and management of data services,
development efforts that could and should make their way back to the
code base of their respective projects.  If you are still reading then
you must be interested, so drop me a line!  Whether on- or off-list is
up to you, but any comments at all are welcome.  My employer is very
serious about this so I earnestly hope that this will generate some
traffic and ent

--

David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager