map coordinates

Ben Madin ben at REMOTEINFORMATION.COM.AU
Thu Dec 14 01:18:08 EST 2006

Pietro,

I noticed your question re map coordinates vs pixels. There may be a
better way, but I compare the proportion of the pixels with the
proportion of the map extents, for each of X & Y / Long & Lat /
Easting & Northing or whatever.

So,

if the pixels is 400,200 (when the map is 600 x 300 pixels), then we
are 400/600 of the way from the minimum extent to the maximum extent
on the map (in this case in both directions).

I'm sure someone else will be more articulate about this, or have a
better idea, which I will be happy to see.

Actually, here is a really good resource: (don't forget to have a
look on the mapserver website first!)

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/phpmapscript-byexample

cheers

Ben