MS_MAXLAYERS Question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sat Dec 16 07:50:56 EST 2006

On 12/15/06, Ben Tuttle <funkbucket at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thnaks for the info Frank. I hadn't considered dynamically creating
> the layers, but that sounds promising. Can you give me an idea of a
> number we might be able to increase MS_MAXLAYERS to that would not be
> too much of a drain on the system?

Ben,

It depends on the complexity of the layer definition and
the kinds of objects that have to get created.  For instance
currently epsg lookups are quite expensive, so if every
layer had an epsg definition even 100 layers could be
quite slow.

I haven't really done any benchmarking so I can offer
detailed information ... just a the general sort of warning.

Best regards,