WMS connection error. Failed to draw ...

Sol Lederman s_lederman at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 19 22:30:50 EST 2006

MAPSERVER-USERS Digest - 5 Dec 2006 to 6 Dec 2006 (#2006-339)Dear List Members,

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get MapServer running on a linux box. I once got it working on a different box but this was over a year ago so I may be missing a step or the other box might have been configured differently.

When trying to draw a demo map I get this error:

msDrawMap(): WMS connection error. Failed to draw WMS layer named 'land_fn'. This most likely happened because the remote WMS server returned an invalid image, and XML exception or another unexpected result in response to the GetMap request. Also check and make sure that the layer's connection URL is valid.

The box that I set mapserver up on a year ago can render the same .map file just fine so I don't believe anything in the map file is incorrect.

Below is the map file. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this.

Thanks,
Sol

MAP
   EXTENT -125 24 -65 50
   SIZE            600 240
   NAME    WMS-Test_Client

   WEB
        TEMPLATE        mapserver.html
        IMAGEPATH       "/var/www/cap/docroot/tmp/"
        IMAGEURL        "/tmp/"
   LOG "/tmp/wmsclient.log"
 END

   LAYER
        NAME            alert
        TYPE            point
        STATUS          DEFAULT
        CLASS
                        COLOR   255 0 0
                        SYMBOL  "alert_symbol"
                        SIZE   5
                        LABEL
                                POSITION UR
                                SIZE MEDIUM
                                COLOR 0 0 255
                                OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
                        END
        END
        PROJECTION
                "init=epsg:4326"
        end
        FEATURE
                        POINTS -106.08 35.62 END
                        POINTS -108.08 47.62 END
                        POINTS -73.98 40.77 END
                        POINTS -73.98 40.77 END
        END
   END

   SYMBOL
        NAME            "alert_symbol"
        TYPE            ellipse
        FILLED          true
        points          1 1  END
   END

 PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:4326"
 END

 Layer
   Name land_fn
   TYPE POLYGON
   STATUS DEFAULT
   CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
   CONNECTION "http://128.117.91.208/viz-bin/wmt.cgi?"

   METADATA
    "wms_name" "COASTLINES,NATIONAL,STATE"
    "wms_onlineresource" "http://128.117.91.208/viz-bin/wmt.cgi?"
    "wms_server_version"  "1.1.1"
    "wms_title" "COASTLINES,NATIONAL,STATE"
    "wms_srs"      "EPSG:4326"
    "wms_formatlist"      "image/gif,image/png,image/jpeg"
   END

   PROJECTION
     "init=epsg:4326"
   END