ArcSDE, FastCGI+IIS

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Dec 20 19:33:51 EST 2006

On Dec 20, 2006, at 5:29 PM, Mike Saunt wrote

On Dec 20, 2006, at 6:17 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I am pretty sure FastCGI + Apache is the more-tested combination, so
> probably more stable.
> Growing processes is Bad News (tm).  Mapserv.exe shouldn't be leaking
> but perhaps it is.  As a stopgap, set your fcgi workers to shut down
> after 50 or 100 accesses.  That way they shut down cleanly sooner
> rather than nastily later.  You'll spawn workers slightly more often,
> but the penalty isn't too bad amortized over a few hundred requests.

Mike,

I have also had the experience of FastCGI+Apache+SDE hangup and
crash.  My experience was on Linux, and
while it wasn't always pleasant, the speed improvements were well
worth it.  I also used Paul's strategy of having
FastCGI shutdown the mapserv processes after about 200 requests.  Use
a reasonable combination of the
number of requests x the number of clients you expect to service to
come up with a good number.

There are many places MapServer could be leaking memory, including in
the SDE code.  MapServer's natural
environment is not in long-running processes.  Another thing to
consider is each mapserv.exe will eat a license
seat and connection to your SDE server.  This may cause problems for
other clients you may have connecting
to the server.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could document your
experiences as far as what you had to do to get
MapServer + FastCGI running on IIS in a comment on <http://
mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/fastcgi>.  I will
make sure to incorporate them into the document.  If it is
straightforward enough, Jeff and I might copy what you
did into the Buildkit, so that support for this makes it into MS4W in
a future release.

Howard